Our Mission: Bringing Better Treatments to the Right Patients
The research of our team has a methodological as well as an application oriented component, where method development is typically driven by specific questions arising in applications (for instance in pharma industry). Currently these applications largely cover:
- precision medicine (the right drug for the right patient):
- AI based modeling of disease risk, disease progression and disease subtypes
- AI based simulation of synthetic patient data as a mechanism for privacy preserving data sharing
- early drug discovery (better drug targets):
- AI based drug target prioritization
- AI methods for adverse event prediction
In addition, we have a long standing experience with applications of AI in system medicine (reverse engineering and simulation of biological networks).
To address the highly complex questions arising in our different applications a broad range of different AI and data science techniques is needed (covering neural networks, Bayesian learning, Bayesian Networks, kernel methods, boosting and others). At the same time, off-the-shelf solutions rarely provide satisfactory results. Hence, a significant proportion of our work goes into the adaptation, development and design of AI and data science techniques that are tailored to solve a particular application problem. During the last years our method developments have specifically covered
- »Hybrid« AI: combination and integration of knowledge (e.g. in form of graphs) into machine learning models
- (Generative) modeling of multivariate time series, including approaches to deal with missing values
- Models that deal with multiple data modalities and biological scales.
We have historically a long standing experience with various types of -omics data, but during the last years other data types (e.g. clinical, real world evidence, bio-imaging derived features) have become more and more important.
Our services cover the entire value chain in translational biomedical research in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry. We offer companies tailor-made solutions in AI and data mining, for example through contract research. This way we are able to address different needs of our customers and to add temporary resources and know-how to their internal projects.
For more information, including publications see http://abi.bit.uni-bonn.de.